Picture
 Token boards, M&Ms, potty videos, and potty parties.  While toilet training your child on the autism spectrum, you may have tried them all and yet your child is still not consistent or may even have an aversion to the potty.

Here are some tips and tricks to increase your child's chance of success and to decrease some of the anxiety around toilet training.

If toilet training has been unsuccessful, or if your child has developed aversions or tantrum behavior around toileting,  try taking a step back and introducing some of these strategies.
  • Bathroom stuff stays in the bathroom: When your child is wearing diapers or pull-ups, it can be tempting (and easier) to change them wherever you are.  However, by changing your child only in the bathroom, it strengthens the understanding that all urination and bowel movements belong in the bathroom.  You can also have them flush the waste down and wash their hands, which are also important pieces of the toileting process.

• Routine is important: Even if your child is not having any success yet on the toilet, put sitting on the toilet into the daily routine.  Familiarity with sitting on the potty at predictable times throughout the day can decrease anxiety around toileting.  If you use a visual schedule, make sure sitting on the potty is in the schedule multiple times during the day.

• Modeling: This may sound silly, but I have seen it work!  Have favorite characters request to use the bathroom, and  then have them pretend to go (sometimes I use a dollhouse for this).  This works very well with kids who have a tendency to be anxious about using the toilet.  For example, last week I started modeling Thomas the Train asking to use the toilet and after a week the little boy started modeling that Thomas was using the toilet and then the boy started asking, too.

• Relax: A child who is stressed or anxious may tend to hold back.  Focus on making sure your child is relaxed and calm while sitting on the potty.  Find some favorite books or Ipad games and keep those just for sitting on the toilet or play some favorite music.  Try to minimize stress and expectations by not talking about peeing/pooping the whole time your child is sitting there.  They need to relax for anything to happen!

• Comfort: Is your child using the proper toilet? If your child is bigger, he/she may be uncomfortable on a small potty. If your child is sitting on the big toilet, he may be more comfortable spreading his legs so he doesn't feel like he's falling in or she may need a small stool to put her feet on so they are not dangling.  All these factors can contribute to a child feeling more relaxed and less anxious about the toileting process.

• Tone down the "Potty Party":  One piece of advice frequently given to families is to show a lot of positive reinforcement when a child has had success in the potty.  Unfortunately, having a big potty party for your child when she is using the toilet or immediately after can backfire by creating stress or startling the child around the toileting experience.  Try keeping your positive praise low-key, behavior specific, and only after you are sure the child is done.  I usually say something like, 'Hey, good for you peeing in the potty,'.

Toilet training is not a 'one size fits all' process.  Every child is different and has his or her own needs and personality.

For more information or assistance on making a specific activity easier for you and your child, please contact A Child's Potential, Inc. through the contact page on our website or visit us on Facebook.

All children can learn.

All children's potential is unlimited.

Comments

01/11/2016 1:56am

Thanks to share this fabulous way to Make Toilet Training Less Stressful for our Child with Autism.I really appreciate your views and ideas.

06/07/2016 7:27pm

It really is very hard to teach children about things, because they will just neglect everything you say, or on the other hand, they will not be able to understand anything that you say. Toilet training for children is one of the hardest things to teach them, because of the fact that, it really does feel uncomfortable to do things the first time, most especially for them, because they'll tend to think of it as scary or something. You really do must make your child feel comfortable with it, for it to work out. One thing that I know that might work out, is buying a small practice toilet for children that has a drawing or pattern of their favorite cartoon character, to encourage him/her, and to help him/her out feel ok about it.

03/15/2016 3:25am

It`s very important that a child must be trained how to use a toilet in good mannered way. its the responsibility of parents to teach their children how use the toilet and how important also for health of them. Toilets must be tidy for the children so, they feel comfortable in toilet.

03/19/2016 7:03am

Meditub will help you find the walk-in tub made just for you!

03/20/2016 12:37pm

Execellent content posted. It is incredibly informative.

03/22/2016 2:10am

Child's potential is very important and necessary. If the potential is judged and elevated, the success of the community and society are advanced and recommended. Its influence is observed for the triumph and efficiency of the projects and programs of the right tinge.

This kind of blog was really an amazing site which I acquired never found it everywhere.

04/30/2016 2:51am

Very exciting details. By studying the content details is certainly very useful for me. Hopefully this experience also for other visitors.Thanks for sharing this information.

05/07/2016 3:49am

Exceptionally energizing points of interest. By examining the substance points of interest is surely exceptionally valuable for me. Ideally this experience likewise for different visitors.Thanks for sharing this data.

I love this post because we can get some useful information from your blog.

06/17/2016 6:26am

You've made a great factor in each sentence. Thanks so much for posting such suggestion.

06/27/2016 2:44am

I love your site post. Continue writing this kind of great products.

06/27/2016 10:19am

Everybody needs to read atleast once this article. Because it have so many good points. Thanks for your sharing.

07/15/2016 5:47pm

http://www.priawanitadewasa.com/ Very interesting article, I really like what shering comrades on this page.

07/18/2016 2:10am

happy with what I saw and I read here, the information that I can quite make me satisfied,
For I already know on this page mengatkan I can only thank you.

09/03/2016 4:07am

geometry dash 2.1 download

Thank you for this inspirational post.

10/08/2016 7:48am

I read the whole article and it was just great. The information share in this article was very nice I love it .

10/08/2016 12:19pm

He was accommodating us. In my Mormon personality I didn't have a legitimate motivation to abandon him so I had dispatched myself to endure marriage trusting that the following life things would be worked out.

11/04/2016 10:38am

useful info thanks

11/10/2016 6:57am

Such a great article. Thanks for sharing your tips.
It is useful for new parenting like me.

11/16/2016 7:54am

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with toilet training! Reading your article gave me immediate relief from my concern that I might be doing my 2 year six month old daughter a disservice by not “potty training” her and trusting that she will let me know when she is ready to use the potty. She clearly knows all about the potty and what it is for and is just not ready to start using it on a regular basis.

This is really interesting post, You are a very fine writer. I like your post very much, keep it up...

11/28/2016 8:56am

I tried a lot of different glasses for my son until my physician recommended trying a hay, and that did the secret to success. It took a while but by 12 several weeks he would use a sippy cup during the day and would have one container before going to bed. My little girl is 11 several weeks now and just lately really identified sippy glasses.

01/05/2017 12:34am

I just wanna say thanks for this nice reading. I got a lot of new ideas from your article.

02/03/2017 9:16pm

sb game hacker ios

02/08/2017 3:17am

playstore download

03/06/2017 1:53pm

Latrine preparing for youngsters is one of the hardest things to show them, due to the way that, it truly feels awkward to do things the first run through, most particularly for them, since they'll tend to consider it unnerving or something. You truly do must make your tyke feel good with it, for it to work out. One thing that I realize that may work out, is purchasing a little practice can for youngsters that has a drawing or example of their most loved toon character, to empower him/her, and to help him/her out feel alright about it.

03/07/2017 1:12am

Helpful tips. You can also use a health supplement CBD Oil, It is a natural medication and does not have any side effects. The dosage differs from children to Adults. It relieves pain, constipation and gives relief to patients. CBD Oil also helps in decreasing anxiety and stress.

And when the weight reduction plot has a few results, it will not become through the herbal components or even the actual green tea leaf components or even other things that are they will gain ownership of offers miracle forces.

03/11/2017 2:58pm

Many people make full use of post-its attached with the actual speakerphone to assist all of them keep in mind that is on-line.

03/11/2017 11:03pm

something like 20 Wenham observes a simple configuration regarding this21: The.

Supplement The insufficiency has become a reason for erectile dysfunction in certain guys.

Instead of taking a look at the specific effected section of the entire body, organic medication discusses what exactly is incorrect using the entire individual.

03/12/2017 4:18pm

This is a natural herb which improves opposition in order to tension, raises endurance and also encourages basic wellbeing.

03/13/2017 1:28pm

Zenerx's Distinctive Sexual intercourse Blend quick What exactly is it?

Having the ability to really savor your system as well as your intimate prefers if you are more than 60 is vital.

03/14/2017 11:00am

A few, such as the Jews, might simply not understand exactly how Our god permitted this to occur.

All of us continue to have no idea exactly how effective these types of methods might be.

Thanks great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative.

ts ssc results 2017

ap ssc results 2017

mh ssc results 2017

05/14/2017 10:10pm

This blog aware me about different programs which can become very useful for our friends and kids. Few websites provide combined courses and few of the are separately for single subject. Glad to get this information.

05/18/2017 12:09am

Welcome to Dhl Tracking Official Site Track Dhl Couriers & Parcels By Entering the Dhl Tracking Number

As with every other written piece, there are ways to secure that your blog post is of premium quality. Since writing compelling, high quality content is the only way to have a go at a blog salary, you must be very particular about such detail. You should keep it in mind whenever you are starting to make a post.

06/09/2017 12:23am

Facetime is one of the most prominent apps for Video Calling. It is developed on iOS software and is an Apple Product.

09/03/2017 1:36pm

For those of you who like to explore the world, this tourist place is very beautiful and natural.

09/05/2017 12:16am

A number of people are often confused about the numerous terminologies used in nursing careers. Among the terms which are commonly interchanged are RN and BSN.

09/07/2017 9:12am

When knowledge is communicated to society, then he will benefit the world.

09/11/2017 5:58pm

These are Your best articles that offer many informations for me.

09/19/2017 2:34pm

09/20/2017 9:16am

Best methods in learning English with the right materials and programs.